The V Bass – part two

Continued from Page One…

I had a pause in the construction of this bass, and when I resumed I had to do a lot of sanding, install the frets and then finish it off. I also decided to add resin-filled rings as fret markers, and I put my oak leaf inlay at the 12th fret.

Very messy, but it cleaned up nicely!

I thought for a long time about the colour scheme for the stain, and in fact I did a stain and then sanded it off and restarted. I ended up going with a fairly traditional kind of cherry burst, which I felt compensated a bit for the generally outlandish shape of the body!

The wiring was quite simple but I got that looking quite tidy:

Simple wiring with a barrel jack, which is a neat option on the outside of the body

So here are a few pictures of the finished instrument. The main lesson learned was that the headstock is too small, and I struggled to fit all five strings going to the tuners. Still, it plays OK and sounds good, and there are a lot of things I like about this build!

Return to Home Page