Resin River Guitar

This year, I’ve been experimenting with resin. I had various plans, inspired by a lot of YouTube videos. I decided to start by making a river table from a piece of oak – this made a nice coffee table that was destined to be a wedding present for a friend.

The river table being tested!

The river table was more work than I expected, but it was a good experiment with the various techniques related to using resin, and I was ultimately happy with the result.

The other experiment with resin is the Pencil Tele, which is still in progress. Emboldened by the success of the table, though, I decided to start working on a guitar.

I had bought a couple of pieces of wood (Yew, I think) with a view to making a dining table, but that plan was vetoed so I decided to use a part of one piece to make a guitar body. I cut the pieces as appropriate and made a mould for the resin pour.

The mould and wood before the resin was poured

Here, I had already cleaned up the live edges and poured in a little bit of resin to try to seal the wood and prevent lots of bubbles from appearing during the main pour. For better or worse, I decided to go for orange for the resin, as I thought that would go well with the wood. Note that I had already inlaid my oak leaf in the upper bout!

After pouring the resin

I used a couple of different colours and mixed them around a bit. I think I’m pleased with the result, but we’ll see how it turns out later!

Finally, I broke it out of the mould and then cut it into my desired body shape. This picture was taken in front of a window to show that the resin is translucent.

The body, more or less cut to its initial shape.

That’s as far as I have got with the body so far, and in parallel I had worked a bit on the neck. I prepared a fairly simple laminate neck out of maple and a strip of rosewood, and then picked a fretboard (which I think is zebrano). That has been glued onto the neck and a certain amount of shaping has been done. I decided, though, that the river from the body should continue up the neck, and so I carefully routed a wiggly channel up the fretboard and then filled it with resin.

The large wiggle is the 12th fret marker, and ultimately the river will continue onto the truss rod cover, which will become the source of the river.

Apart from a bit of sanding, that’s about where I’ve got for the time being. I’ve set this guitar to one side for a while, since I had too many projects on the go at once, so I will return to it when I’m back down to no more than a couple of projects.

Watch this space for more news in the autumn!