Pencil Tele part 2

Continued from Part 1

The neck for this guitar was to be a fairly normal one for me, i.e. a laminated neck and a nice fretboard. I decided to go for purpleheart, but since I didn’t actually have a purpleheart fretboard, I made one out of a regular plank that I’d bought.

The neck, made from purpleheart, bubinga and wenge

Someone asked me what I was going to do for inlays. I thought about it, and dug out a spare piece of ebony (an offcut from a previous fretboard) and a little piece of maple…

Ebony and maple

I glued them together and shaped them into a little block…

The block on top of the home-made fretboard

And some time later, I cut these into little strips and shaped the ends, and what do we have here?

Pencils!

They were cut to different sizes in line with their position on the fretboard, with the largest at the 12th fret, medium height on the 7th and 19th frets and shorter ones on the others. I inlaid them into the fretboard and then stained the tip of each pencil a different colour, and here’s the finished result.

The neck with frets and the finished inlays

Never one to stop flogging the dead horse of an idea until it’s been beaten into its component particles, I used a similar approach to make the control cover. I didn’t want a regular chrome cover; I thought I could do something better than that!

Since then, I have sanded down and shaped the body and the top, and I gave it another clear coat of resin. The picture below shows much more accurately how it should look at the end of the process – the photo above is after rough sanding, and resin looks terrible until it’s been fine sanded and polished back to a glossy surface.

Now you can see the Westie head in the top right corner!

The next page covers the assembly and completion of this guitar. Continue to Page Three…