Crimson Build 2018 – The Freak!

I was supposed to be going skiing in March, but that fell through so I decided to go back to Crimson Guitars.    Having built a couple of guitars at home since my last course in May 2017, I’d made plenty of mistakes and had a lot of questions to ask.  I also wanted to develop my skills further, and I’d been thinking of following their two-day inlay course but it’s a long way to travel for just two days.

The solution was to go for another week-long course, but to start working on the guitar beforehand and gain enough time to effectively slot the inlay course into the six-day build.   I also want to use the opportunity to get help with the planned inlay and with staining the cap on the hybrid tele.

So, what to build?  Something different, of course, and that meant a through-neck baritone.  Of course, the neck is a laminate, and most of the guitar is made from leftovers of other builds so it’s also quite economical.  On the other hand, I have a bubinga quilt cap that was the most expensive one that I’ve bought, and to top it all off, one of the wavy fretboards that I made recently.

It’s now a week before the course and I’ve made a lot of progress with the build.  I’ve made the neck, attached the body and glued on the cap.  I decided to leave gluing the fretboard until the course.

I decided to make this guitar a little…pointy and unusual, just for fun.  I don’t yet know if it will look great or awful, but it should be interesting finding out.  In the meantime, here are a few photos of the first part of this build.

Gluing together the pieces for the laminate through neck
I had half of a sycamore body blank left over and a bit of zebrano lying around
The neck and the sides of the body together, with a rough sketch of the proposed – and rather freakish – shape
I had to cut the neck and reglue it with a scarf joint to get the right neck break angle – this was after cutting the neck
And then after cleaning the joints, ready for gluing
Gluing the pieces of the cap together…
And the body after gluing it together and drilling out the cavities for weight relief
Parts of the body will be revealed, so I stained them a light amber. The cavities were cleaned up too.
Gluing on the main part of the cap…
…and finally the body with the pieces of the cap glued on and the fretboard, although it’s not yet glued in place.

There’s plenty of work to be done – the headstock will also be covered by an offcut of the cap, for example.  I’m looking forward to working on this guitar during the course!