I started working on this guitar in preparation for my Crimson Guitars course in March 2018. I wanted to work on the hybrid tele during the course too, so I did some of the build in advance, as shown on the first page about this guitar.
I didn’t take many pictures during the course, but both guitars are shown in the What’s On The Bench video by Crimson Guitars for that week.
I had intended to finish the guitar on the course, but we didn’t get that far. I spent more time than expected on the hybrid tele, and encountered quite a few problems that needed to be solved on the course. I made good progress, but there was still a fair amount to do after the course.
Eventually, though, I managed to finish the guitar. I stained the back a rather dramatic red, which I think looks good with the neck woods. The finished article certainly isn’t to everybody’s taste, but it was an experiment in many ways – my first through neck, first baritone and first wavy fretboard, among others – and I’m very happy with the result.
Here are some photos of the finished freak!