Crimson Build 2017 – Day Two

…Continued from Day One

Day two arrived, and the first thing to check was whether my guitar’s body was going to have the same problems with the glue joint as Callum’s. Fortunately, though, it was fine, which was a big relief and allowed me to get cracking on the bandsaw, to cut out the shape of the body. Here you see the body with the template on top.

The neck had also been glued overnight, and the fretboard was firmly fixed. This was also a bit of a relief, since the fretboard hadn’t been entirely flat on its own, but all was well. Here it is marked out for bandsawing off the excess wood, allowing me to have an angled headstock.

Meanwhile, Callum was making progress with the body of his guitar too. His original body had been replaced by a 3-piece body made from some darker mahogany that came from an old billiards table. Here he is using the table router to trim the sides of the body to the template, having rough cut it first with the bandsaw.

My guitar will be a semi-hollow, and so there was a lot of wood to take out of the wings. Most of it was drilled out using the pillar drill…

This is after using the pillar drill and then a chisel to get rid of any uneven pieces, or places where I couldn’t get in with the large bit on the drill.

Then I used a router to clean out the cavities. There are a couple of little dips where the router slipped a bit, but they will be well hidden inside the guitar, so they aren’t a problem!

I decided that I wanted a drop top, so I spent some time planing the body to put a radius on the top. This means that the burl poplar top had to be bent to fit the drop top shape, and so first of all we wet the top of it, which made it expand and caused the wood to bend a bit already. Then it was clamped to the body to check for gaps before I actually glued it on. As you can see below, I didn’t skimp on the clamps – there are over 20 on the body!

With the body safely gluing for the night, I started to work on carving the neck. Below you can see the neck with lines drawn on it for the initial carve. You might be able to see the two lines down the middle of the neck, because I first drew the centre line and then another line a couple of millimetres above it, to make an asymmetrical neck card. At the end of the day, I’d roughed out most of the carve, but there’s still some work to do in the morning.

Callum was ahead of me with his neck, and managed to finish his carve today. I’m sure I’ll catch up with him later, though!

Continue to Day Three