Today I have decided to disable subscriber registration on this site, and I have deleted all existing subscribers. I believe that the vast majority of the nearly 2,000 subscribers were robots, and there has been no meaningful interaction on the site (e.g. genuine comments on articles), so I don’t see any need to allow subscription.
I apologise to any genuine subscribers. The site will continue, primarily with documentation of my future guitar builds, so come back and check from time to time, or take a look at my YouTube channel.
The forum jam on the Rob Chapman Forum is now quite a long-standing tradition. Every quarter a backing track is chosen, of around 45-60 seconds, and anybody who wants to take part can record a solo piece over the backing track. Some poor soul (often me, though not this time) then has to laboriously glue them all together and produce a video which is published on YouTube.
The 2017 Summer Jam video has just been published. I took the opportunity to give my new Crimson build guitar its first real public outing and my jam is the first one in the video (not my choice!).
I hope you enjoy it, and maybe one or two of you will join us for the next one!
After a break of a few weeks, I’m back for the New Year. I took a break from building my guitar over Christmas because I was busy with other things, including skiing with family and friends for Christmas week. I ran into some problems with the electronics on my Crimson guitar, and will probably need to return the entire bridge and piezo equipment for replacement, which is causing a delay. More news will follow in the fairly near future.
In the meantime, Winter NAMM 2017 will be opening its doors in a few days, and I’ll post some links to the most interesting things I see here. There have already been a few early reveals, but full details are not yet available about those.
I am also thinking of returning to Crimson Guitars for another build this year, although I haven’t yet taken a final decision on whether or when to do it.
I wish everybody a belated but happy and musical New Year!
If you’ve been following my guitar build, you might be wondering what’s happened in the last couple of weeks since I returned from the course. I had a few steps left to finish the guitar, and for some of them I needed to order components which took a week or so to arrive. These included a Tusq nut, some small magnets, a fret polishing kit and a few other bits and pieces. The nut was pre-slotted; I had a blank nut but no nut slotting saws, and it was considerably cheaper to buy a slotted nut than to get the saws.
In the meantime, I haven’t been inactive although progress has naturally been much slower since I’ve only been grabbing a bit of time in the evenings or at the weekend. I decided that I preferred the natural wood to the stain, and so I spent a considerable time (several hours) sanding the top down again. Unfortunately, the imperfections in the maple top have caused problems but I have decided on a solution that I will implement later. Last weekend, I finished sanding and applied five coats of finishing oil, and now the guitar is waiting for the oil to cure for a few days before I can finish it off with a light sanding and perhaps another coat of oil.
I have done a few more things too. I fitted little magnets inside the control cavity and on the cover so that it stays on without any screws, although I still need to do a bit more work to make sure that I can take the cover off. At the moment, I have to push it off by inserting a pen through one of the holes on the top, but when the tone and volume pots are installed this will no longer be an option! I have also been working on my truss rod cover which will be similarly held on with magnets, but that’s not finished yet. I also managed to install the string ferrules and ground them, which was a rather fiddly job.
Lastly, I’ve also started working on the electronics. This is completely new to me, so I spent some time researching and getting help in order to design the wiring, since I couldn’t find a schematic that fitted my pickup configuration exactly. I’ve also never soldered anything before, so I watched some helpful videos on YouTube and got stuck in, doing everything that I could do outside the body.
I hope that the guitar will be finished in the next few days, at least to a level where I can play it although I will still have one or two final touches to do afterwards.
Since I finished my guitar building course, I’ve been working to finish the videos. This evening I finally uploaded the last two videos to YouTube. They are linked in each of the pages in the Articles section, but here are quick links to all six videos:
Day two is over and I’m busy updating this website and editing the video footage of the day. Today we made the final outline of the body, routed out the cavities and glued it to the top. Then I worked on the neck, cutting it to size and finally carving the neck profile (although not yet the heel and nut area).
You might have already seen the articles on here about my forthcoming guitar building course…well, it’s finally (almost) here, and I will be starting tomorrow!
I will post a daily update with some photos on here during the week, and I’ll also be shooting some videos, with the intention of publishing one video for each of the six days of the course. I’m not sure if I will be able to upload (or even edit) these videos during the week, but I will get them up on my YouTube channel as soon as possible.
There will also be links to the articles on my Articles page, so come back and see how it goes!