An update on my guitar build

If you’ve been following my guitar build, you might be wondering what’s happened in the last couple of weeks since I returned from the course.  I had a few steps left to finish the guitar, and for some of them I needed to order components which took a week or so to arrive.  These included a Tusq nut, some small magnets, a fret polishing kit and a few other bits and pieces.  The nut was pre-slotted; I had a blank nut but no nut slotting saws, and it was considerably cheaper to buy a slotted nut than to get the saws.

In the meantime, I haven’t been inactive although progress has naturally been much slower since I’ve only been grabbing a bit of time in the evenings or at the weekend.  I decided that I preferred the natural wood to the stain, and so I spent a considerable time (several hours) sanding the top down again.  Unfortunately, the imperfections in the maple top have caused problems but I have decided on a solution that I will implement later.  Last weekend, I finished sanding and applied five coats of finishing oil, and now the guitar is waiting for the oil to cure for a few days before I can finish it off with a light sanding and perhaps another coat of oil.

Part of the body, now sanded and oiled, with the sponges that will go under the pickups.
Part of the body, now sanded and oiled, with the sponges that will go under the pickups.

I have done a few more things too.  I fitted little magnets inside the control cavity and on the cover so that it stays on without any screws, although I still need to do a bit more work to make sure that I can take the cover off.  At the moment, I have to push it off by inserting a pen through one of the holes on the top, but when the tone and volume pots are installed this will no longer be an option!  I have also been working on my truss rod cover which will be similarly held on with magnets, but that’s not finished yet.  I also managed to install the string ferrules and ground them, which was a rather fiddly job.

Lastly, I’ve also started working on the electronics.  This is completely new to me, so I spent some time researching and getting help in order to design the wiring, since I couldn’t find a schematic that fitted my pickup configuration exactly.  I’ve also never soldered anything before, so I watched some helpful videos on YouTube and got stuck in, doing everything that I could do outside the body.

The tone and volume pots soldered together, mounted on a sponge which worked surprisingly well!
The tone and volume pots soldered together, mounted on a sponge which worked surprisingly well!

I hope that the guitar will be finished in the next few days, at least to a level where I can play it although I will still have one or two final touches to do afterwards.

 

Author: gloopyjon

I grew up in England, attending school in Gloucester and then reading Classics at Peterhouse, Cambridge University. After working in London for three years, I moved to Belgium in 1993 where I have lived ever since. I played the piano as a child and also started playing the guitar, but never took it seriously until 2012, thanks to Rocksmith. I've also done a lot of singing, including over 30 amateur shows. Since 2012 I have been avidly accumulating guitar-related information as well as guitars and related gear, and I decided to create this site to share some of my knowledge, experiences and opinions with anybody who might be interested.

Leave a Reply