Inlays on the twelve-string

One of the two guitars that I’m building at the moment is my crazy 12-string, and in the last few weeks I’ve been working on some elaborate inlays for the fretboard.  They are based on a tree of life, but a simplified version with my own designs.

The inlays are now finished, so I can get cracking with the frets and then finally putting the guitar together.  Hopefully, the finished instrument will make an appearance on here in another few weeks!

Small update on the 12-string

As the second half of 2018 begins, I’m still working hard on the 12-string guitar.  This is just an opportunity for a quick update on the progress, with a photo of the body as it is today.

This past weekend, I glued the neck into the body and I’m now trying to make sure that I do everything necessary before gluing on the top.  Because there’s no back plate, for example, I had to fix the output jack in place now, as that won’t be accessible once the top is glue on – the controls will be fixed onto a removable plate on the front of the guitar, a bit like a Telecaster.

There will be a full-page update on the build in the near future…in the meantime, I hope you like this picture! 🙂

There is a reason why the inside is stained red!

New main page – Build Gallery

I realised that I’ve actually made a few guitars by now, and this deserved a new page on the main menu of this website.  I’ve therefore made a gallery page with a photograph of each of the guitars that I have made, and links to all of the related pages.

This new page can be found under “Build Gallery” in the main menu at the top of this page.  I will update it as I start or finish each guitar.

Random picture of a guitar during the build process!

Big update on finished guitars!

I’ve been very busily working on guitars both at home and on a third course at Crimson Guitars in March 2018.  I didn’t update this site for a while, but today I’ve caught up and posted pages for three guitars that I have completed this year!

First was the Padauk Strat, which was the first guitar I finished on my own.

Next the baritone “Freak” that I made as an experimental build for the course.

Finally the Hybrid Tele, which is the first guitar that I’ve made for someone else!

I’m currently finishing off the wenge 339 and working hard on the new 12-string build, so there will be more news soon!

Insanity rules!

Having recently finished both the baritone and the hybrid tele – although I still need to update this site with the final pictures of both of those guitars – I needed a break from guitar-building.  Unfortunately, though, inspiration struck for a slightly crazy new build, and I couldn’t prevent myself from leaping straight into it!

The plan is to build a hollow bodied 12-string guitar, with a rather distinctive design.  It’s a bit crazy and it will be a lot of work, probably sending me mad in the process, but I’m gambling that nobody will tell the difference.

The first two pages of this build have been posted, together with an index page where you can also find links to a series of YouTube videos that I’m making about this build.  As I also have a proper day job, this will probably take me a few months to complete, so come back and see how I get on with it!

Crazy 12-string build part 1 – design & preparation

Crazy 12-string build part 2 – main components

Crazy 12-string build – Index

Another course, another build

In a week’s time I shall be returning to Crimson Guitars for a third course.  Lest you think that I must have shares in the company by now, I did look around for other courses but theirs was still the best option available for me.

Because I want to spend some time working on inlays, I needed to start working on the guitar in advance.  I’ve put together a page with some more explanation and photos of the first stage of the build, and I’ll post more updates during or after the course.

The main pieces that the guitar will be made of – laminate neck, bubinga cap and wavy fretboard!

See the page on my Crimson Guitars 2018 build!

New build: the Hybrid Tele

I’ve been working on another new build recently, which is the first one I’m making under an arrangement whereby the customer pays for the materials and I build the guitar for free.  I’ll make a few guitars like that until such time as the quality of my guitars is worth charging for.

This guitar features a Telecaster-style body with Les Paul-style features.  It will have a flame maple top and a natural ebony fretboard, with a special inlay.  The new page on the Hybrid Tele part 1 includes pictures of the early stages of the build, and more will follow later on.

You can never have too many clamps!

Wavy fretboards

A while ago, I watched a YouTube video from HiTone guitars (no, I don’t know them either).  The video showed a very interesting idea for fretboards, and it has been in the  back of my mind ever since.  This week, I decided to have a go, and I picked a pair of fretboards that I thought would look good together (purpleheart and wenge).

The pictures below tell the story so far.  I haven’t yet glued them together bceause I still need to sand the joins in order to get a good, close fit.  I’m considering some options such as putting another stripe of something between them, possibly either a maple pinstripe or a thin inlay of metal powder.  I’ll post an update when I’ve finished them.

I don’t yet have specific guitars in mind for these fretboards, but they will be interesting options for future builds and I’m sure that I’ll use one of them at some point this year.